Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Hopice of the Emerald Coast January 19




Thank you Karen, Emerald Coast Hospice Volunteer coordinator, for inviting me to give you January presentation for your volunteers. What fun I had presenting a program on the history of volunteerism and how volunteering benefits you and me. In a room of 20 wonderful hospice angels I shared my experiences of volunteering in various areas and how we have all been volunteers in one manner or the other since we were kids. Whether helping the teacher clean the chalkboard, helping another student read or in high school, helping with bake sales and school events. As parents we've helped with PTA, Little League, and Sunday School. As older adults we've chosen organizations that mean something near and dear to us that causes us to give of our time, talents, and compassion. I gave a powerpoint presentation with info regarding volunteerism in America and how our health benefits because we choose to be volunteers. I, with my husbands help, created a golden angel with sparkle wings to provide to each hospice volunteer. At the end, I had the group "toot their own horns" (literally) by blowing the party horns I provided them. Happy New Year and thank you for giving to others freely!

No comments: