Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Life, Learning, Friendship, & Service

On Tuesday evening, May 11, I was honored to be the guest speaker for the Panama City Theta Zeta chapter of  Beta Sigma-Phi. The original organization founded in 1931was created from the need to bring women together for exposure to social, cultural, and educational experiences.  During World War II members worked together and raised 22 million in war bonds.  With the passing of decades and the motto, Life, Learning, & Friendship, the organization currently reports 200,000 members in chapters around the world and continues to be a women's organization that develops life long friendships and provides service to communities.
The Theta Zeta chapter meets monthly and their service projects provide needs for the Panama City Rescue Mission and Bethel Village Women's Shelter.

I want to thank member Marilyn Redd for extending the invitation for me to speak to the group and for providing a wonderful dinner of her fantastic homemade lasagna. Everyone made me feel right at home and gave me their full attention as I shared the history of Blue and Gold Star Service Flags, issues faced by families of loved ones killed while serving in our nation's armed forces, and how faith and bonding together has helped our grieving military families cope with losses.

I especially appreciate the members purchasing copies of my book, Heart of a Hawk, which provides funds that support organizations that help our military families and wounded warriors.

No comments: