Sunday, March 14, 2010

Honoring Military Familes - Hiland Park Baptist Church







Sunday, March 14, 2010, Hiland Park Baptist Church in Panama City, Florida honored thier military families with a luncheon following the church service. I was thrilled at such an event taking place and honored that I had been invited to attend and share a message. I have to also share that this was a definite "God Thing" that brought me to this event because I knew nothing about this wonderful church or its Military Family Ministry until Thursday evening, March 11. I was invited by Jan Evett to attend a GriefShare meeting held at First Baptist Church Panama City where I met Mona, the secretary at Hiland Park. When she learned about my personal journey and ministry, she asked if I could possibly attend the Sunday luncheon. So, today was very special. I and my new Blue Star mom friend, Colleen Greene, whose son Ryan McGlothlin is currently serving with the U.S. Marines 1/6 in Afghanistan, attended the 10:30 a.m. service. The music and service were incredible and spirit filled. I didn't think I'd have any dry makeup left by the end of the service. At noon, the military families, military family ministry team and pastor came together in the fellowship hall. Sincere loving and grateful messages and prayers were spoken by two of the church pastors. Following lunch and introductions of each military family present, I was honored to briefly share a bit about my family, provide the history of Blue and Gold Star families (those who serve (Blue Star) and those who die (Gold Star) during war time, and ask for blessings of strength and courage for all our military families. I concluded by presenting a Blue Star service flag to the church to teach others its symbolism. What a wonderful and blessed morning.

No comments: